Student houses are key targets for burglaries, thanks to the high chance of there being multiple laptops and other valuables in one house, as well as students thinking less about security. Here are a few tips to keep your student house and belongings safe and secure:
- Really ensure that all windows and doors are locked. According to West Yorkshire Police, 50% of student burglaries are due to unlocked windows and doors.
- Leave some lights on when you head out so it looks like someone’s home.
- Don’t leave expensive items on view from windows.
- Head out in separate groups with a bit of a gap so that onlookers don’t think the house has been left empty.
- Set your alarm if you’ve got one.
- Finally, take a look at West Yorkshire Police’s home security advice for more ideas. Many of the suggestions are more your landlord’s remit, but it’s worth having a look.
Uni nights out are great fun, and it’s easy to make sure they’re safe and secure too by following these simple tips. And if anything does go wrong, remember you can always contact our Help & Support team.