We're the students' union of 30,000 students at Leeds University. Our clubs, bars and events are essential to student life!

Help and Advice

Keep up to date with the latest from the Money Ambassadors and general help and advice with finance.

Travel Insurance and the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)


by Najmunnisa Kambolia

Summer…Woooo!!!! Bit of a delayed reaction there but we do have exams before we can officially relax. Forget about that for now – well, at least until you finish reading this blog because before you jet off you need to be insured. Whether it’s Cyprus or Spain, Portugal or Poland, make sure you’re getting the most for your money with this blog!

You can order a FREE European Health Insurance Card using the simple web form online or by calling the automated EHIC application service on 0300 3301350. You still need travel insurance but the EHIC gets you state healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes free – whether it’s a pre-existing condition or something that you develop abroad.

Before you go, add 112 to your contacts - it’s the EU equivalent of 999 for emergency services and is free to call from any mobile phone or telephone.

Even if you’re travelling to a non-EU country it’s worth checking out what healthcare is available.  Less medical services may be available in comparison to the NHS so you’ll need a valid private travel insurance policy but in certain countries any immediate or urgent medical treatment will be provided at a reduced cost or, in some cases, free. Remember that each country on the list provides different treatments for free and you’ll need to take certain documents with you. Any other treatment will have to be paid for but it may be possible to claim a refund depending on the country.


Generally, the more you pay, the more that’s covered but that’s not always the case. The Post Office offers basic cover for short trips to Europe from £6.38.

There are 3 levels of cover to choose from at STA Travel – Budget, Standard or Premier.

Also take a look at the Cheap Travel Insurance section on – their interactive tool shows you can get an annual policy for Europe from £16 and they voted the top comparison website for a single trip policy.

When traveling keep safe with your money with this handy guide to Student travel money dos and don'ts created by Ulster Bank




No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.
Back to top