What we’re all about
PLEASE DO NOT PAY FOR MEMBERSHIP OR SESSIONS IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED A CONFIRMATION EMAIL. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED CONFIRMATION FOR ONE BUT NOT ALL THE SESSIONS YOU SIGNED UP FOR PLEASE PAY FOR THOSE CONFIRMED. IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED A CONFIRMATION EMAIL YOU HAVE AUTOMATICALLY BEEN PLACED ON THE WAITING LIST.
LUU Modern Dance Society holds weekly classes in tap, jazz, contemporary and body conditioning for all abilities! Whether you have never danced before or are looking carry on your hobby of dancing. For each style we have trained professional teachers who specialise in their individual style. Alongside weekly classes we also take part in shows and competitions throughout the year, as well as our regular socials!!
We allocate all of our classes in the fairest way possible based on your previous dance experience. Please get in touch via email if you wish to sign up to our classes.
We offer sessions in tap, contemporary, body conditioning and jazz. Our timetable for the year 2019-2020 is below:
- 5:00 - 6:00 Open Tap
- 6:00 - 7:00 Intermediate Tap
- 7:00 - 8:00 Advanced Tap
- 8:00 - 9:00 Advanced Tap Competition
- 6:00 - 7:00 Intermediate Contemporary Competition
- 7:00 - 8:00 Intermediate Jazz Competition
- 8:00 - 9:00 Intermediate Tap Competition.
- 5:00 - 6:00 Open Contemporary
- 6:00 - 7:00 Body Conditioning
- 7:00 - 8:00 Advanced Contemporary
- 8:00 - 9:00 Advanced Contemporary Competition
- 5:00 - 6:00 Open Jazz
- 6:00 - 7:00 Advanced Jazz
- 7:00 - 8:00 Advanced Jazz Competition
- 8:00 - 9:00 Lyrical Competition
Intermediate: For those who have some dance experience but would like to improve on their skills
Advanced: For those who have danced for a number of years and are confident in their ability
Open: For anyone wishing to take part in a dance class - this class is open for all levels of ability
We use union rooms so the timetable can unfortunately be subject to change. Please follow us on Facebook where updates will be posted about room status. All of our sessions are taught by high-quality professional teachers.
We look forward to seeing you there!!!
If you are an enthusiastic, confident and experienced dancer we would love to have you on our competition team! We are an ambitious group that performs nationwide travelling to compete agains the best dancers from universities across the country. Over the last few years we have been an incredibly successful group:
- 1st in Advanced Tap in Sunderland
- 2nd in Intermediate Jazz in Sunderland
- 3rd in Advanced Contemporary in Sunderland
- Best Costume in Sunderland
- 2nd in Advanced Tap in Liverpool
- 3rd in Advanced Jazz in Sheffield
- 1st in Tap Duet (Emily McNulty & Lydia Oldfield) in Leeds
- 2nd in Advanced Jazz in Leeds
- 2nd in Advanced Tap in Leeds
- 2nd in Advanced Jazz in Newcastle
- 3rd in Advanced Contemporary in Leeds
- 1st in Advanced Tap in Sunderland
- 2nd in Advanced Contemporary in Sunderland
- 3rd in Advanced Jazz in Sunderland
- 2nd in Advanced Contemporary in Leeds
- 1st in Intermediate Tap in Leeds
- 2nd in Solo in Leeds (Anna Chisti)
- 3rd in Lyrical in Leeds
- 2nd in Intermediate Tap in Sheffield
- 2nd in Advanced Tap in Sheffield
- 1st in Solo in Sheffield (Anna Chisti)
- Best Dancer in Sheffield - Anna Chisti
What more can we say other than bring on 2019/2020!!! With MORE teams competing in different categories, we cannot wait to meet our teams for this year!
This year we expect to compete around the country, at LUU's own interuni competition and we are hosting our own competition!!! This has grown massively since 2017 and we are hoping for it to be even bigger or better than usual! So if you are ready for what is to be the most exciting year yet for our society make sure you join us and come take part in the fun.
In 2019 we hosted our first LUU Modern Dance Showcase for all members of the society to perform to their famiy and frieds. This year we are planning to do it all over aggain at the end of the first Semester. Our show this year will be held in the Riley Smith Theatre on Saturday 30th November 2019.
As well as our own show we also take part in the LUU Dance Showcase which will take place on the week commencing 9th March 2020. This is a great opportunity to showcase our styles within the soiety as well as perform alongsde other societies!
As much as we love our dance we also love our socials. These are our chances to get together, get to know people from different classes and levels and have an amazing time. We host a whole variety of socials and love to dress up too! But the best way to enjoy our socials is to just come along!! You're guaranteed a fabulous night.
And what better way to end the year than the LUU Dance Ball. A time to get together with not only our dance society but also all dance societies and have an absolutely incredible evening!
In 2018/2019 the committee won the 'Special Recognition for Committee' award at LUU Riley Awards. We are so proud of our committee from last year and we cannot wait to continue their hard work for the next year!
Sign up for 2019/2020 at freshers fair on Tuesday 24th and Wednesday 25th September (if you really can't make it email us in advance). Information on where to find us will be posted on our Facebook and Instagram account.
- Membership Fee £20
- Body Conditioning £20 (or £1 per class for members and £2 per class for non members)
- Class Fee (Jazz, Tap and Contemporary) £40 a year OR £20 per semester
- Class Fee (Competition) £20
You must pay a membership fee and then pay for each additional class on top of that. These are all one off payments made at the beginning of the year via the shop on the Union website.
Buying membership will not guarantee you a place on the class, please do not pay for membership unless we have confirmed your place. Email if you have any queries.
Members dance at their own risk - we have no university insurance.
If you would like cover related to this activity then please feel free to seek it individually. Here are some providers that you can enquire with:
For further information or queries, please contact the committee. We look forward to seeing you next year!!!