What we’re all about
The Leeds University Union Ballet Society has been established for over forty years. We have around 220 students who attend classes to keep fit, improve their technique, perform, and make new friends. We are open to anyone with a keen interest in ballet, and we cater for all levels of experience; from complete beginners to advanced dancers. All classes are held on campus within purpose-built studios with sprung floors, mirrors and barres in either the stage@leeds or the union dance studios (please check the timetable to confirm where each class is located). All of our classes are taught by professional teachers who provide support, coaching and advice as well as challenging yet fun material.
Click here to view our:
*Semester 1 classes are all currently sold out. Please message us about WAITING LISTS!
There will be a 4 week break for Christmas (Friday 13th December - Monday 13th January). Jade, Mango, Scarlet and Skye studios are in Leeds University Union, positioned in front of the Coop supermarket. The stage@leeds is in a separate building, located behind the Union. Classes can be bought via the 'visit our shop' tab on the right.
- Beginners Technique: for complete beginners or grades 1-2
- Improvers Technique: grades 3-4
- Intermediate Lower Technique: grades 5-6 with less confidence
- Intermediate Higher Technique: grades 5-6 with more confidence
- Advanced Technique (1 or 2, both are the same): grades 7-8 or above
- Beginners/Improvers Pointe: NOT for complete beginners, students require previous pointe work or the go ahead from one of our teachers to be allowed to join
- Intermediate Pointe: for those with quite a bit of experience who are comfortable dancing in the center on point
- Ballet Fit: the only class for members and non-members alike, open to all abilities
- Show Class: please see below
- Advanced Competition: please see below
- Intermediate Competition: please see below
Performances and Competitions
Our award winning advanced competition team was formed two years ago. Last year, we also introduced our brand new INTERMEDIATE COMPETITION TEAM! In 2019 competition season, both of our teams won awards! Congrats to everyone who achieved a space on our teams this year!
Advanced Comp Team 2019: 2nd Place Lancaster, 2nd Place Leeds, 2nd Place Sheffield
Intermediate Comp Team 2019: 2nd Place Lancaster, 3rd Place Sheffield
Our competition teams really are the biggest asset the society has, giving students the opportunity to travel to different cities across the north of England to perform award winning choreography and make lifelong friendships in a welcoming environment. Each year a new team is formed and auditions will be held in the first few weeks of term.
Every year ballet enters in the successful annual dance show held at the university in March, this year we are looking to build upon this success and show everybody the talent within the LUU Ballet Society. For 2019/20 there will be a show class who will learn an exciting new routine and perform this in the LUU dance show with a Latin/Spanish fusion theme. The intermediate pointe class will also turn into a show class, enabling our dancers to show off their pointe skills on stage in the show. If you wished to do pointe technique but not the show, we'd recommend you join beginners pointe!
We will also be introducing a Beginners/Improvers SHOW CLASS in January - this team will perform a routine in our first EVER showcase (see below for details - eek exciting!!)
Ballet's First EVER Showcase
This year, we've got more exciting news for you! We'll be hosting ballet's first ever showcase ft some special guest performances on Saturday 9th May at 7:30pm in Pyramid Theatre. We want to get as many people from the society involved in performing as possible, not just those at a more advanced level. We're looking at you beginners and improvers - we want to see how you've done over the year of classes! More information will be posted about the Showcase closer to the time, so keep an eye on our Facebook and join our mailing list. We'll also visit classes and let you guys know what's happening!
Last year we had lots of successful and super fun socials. These include trips to Northern Ballet to watch The Nutcracker and an exclusive company class, Revs socials, Christmas Meal, welcome back drinks and the LUU Dance Ball, to name a few.
We also hosted ballet's first ever charity events in partnership with Beat UK and Leeds Uni Beat, an amazing charity that helps people with eating disorders. 2 successful pub quizzes, a 10K and some charity yoga and ballet fit classes later and we'd raised over £500 for charity! We're looking to build on this foundation this year and do more for charity!
We have many more exciting socials planned the coming year, with more information at the Freshers Fair! Times, locations and other details will be posted on our Facebook page, and then the 'Leeds Ballet Society Members 2019-20' facebook group which we recommend you join after you've bought membership!
Dates for your diary
- Charity Pub Quiz x LUU Beat Society - Thursday 24th October - Original Oak 7pm
- Halloween Sports Social - Wednesday 30th October - Time TBC
- Ballet WELCOME DRINKS - Wednesday 13th November - Time and place TBC
- Joint Dance Society social - time and place TBC
- LUU Intercomp and Fruity - Friday 29th November
- Christmas Meal - Wednesday 4th December 8pm
- LUU Dance Show - W/C 9th March 2020
- Ballet's first EVER Showcase - Saturday 9th March 7:30pm
Constitution 2019-20 Signed.pdf379.12 KB
Social Guidelines 2019-20488.33 KB
LUU Ballet GIAG Risk Assessment 2019-20.docx24.48 KB
Annual Risk Assessment 2019-20.xlsx16.83 KB
Please be aware that you do not have personal accident insurance cover related to this activity. If you would like any cover, please seek this individually. You can enquire with Ensleigh and Sports Cover Direct if required.
For further information or queries, please contact the committee by email or on facebook.