Got an idea for how to make the Union, the Uni or Leeds and beyond better? Or perhaps you just want things to change around here. With democracy at LUU, if you submit your idea it could soon become a reality.
The 'Better Forums' are one of the key ways change can be made here. Thanks to great ideas from students and Exec in the past, we've been able to improve things across the Union, University and City, from £1 bus fares, banning landlords who have letting fees and introducing a women's only hour at the gym.
Tips for Submitting Your Ideas
There are three groups of people at each forum, each with their own role in the decision-making process:
- You: You’ll need be there to tell people why you submitted your idea, and why you’d like the student panel to vote yes!
- Reps: Each Better Forum is attended by relevant reps. They'll relay other students' views and give feedback on your idea.
- Student panel: A randomly selected panel of 16 students will listen, ask questions, and decide whether to approve or reject your idea - much like a jury.
If your Idea is approved it will become Union policy for three years. That means the leaders of your Union, the Student Exec, will work to implement your idea with the help of other students and Union staff.
Keep in mind:
- Rejected ideas can't be submitted again within the same academic year
- It is Union policy to remain neutral on issues of international conflict
- You can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any help with the process