Students Sustainability Survey Results are in

Students Sustainability Survey Results are in

Your Union

Results are in about your views on sustainability and how green you think we are at LUU.

 

We can let you know that pretty much all of your had a good grasp on what sustainability means with 48.3% strongly agreeing and 44.8% agreeing giving an overall of 93.1% understanding the term.

 

LUU has a lot of initiatives to keep us as environmentally friendly and sustainable as possible, but here’s how aware you were of our different initiatives:

  • Waste (93.1%)
  • Food Services (72.4%)
  • Transportation (65.5%)
  • Purchasing (27.6%)
  • Water (27.6%)
  • Energy (17.2%)
  • Green Building (3.4%)

 

We were happy to hear that everyone asked was concerned about environmental issues to some extent - with 79.3% saying they were very concerned, 6.9% were somewhat concerned and 10.3% were concerned bringing the overall to 96.6% being concerned. On top of this 93.1% of you said environmental issues directly affect your life, so we can see why you would be concerned.

 

There was further positive news, as 96.6% of you were happy to help us out and participate in sustainability activities on campus. The breakdown was as follows:

  • 55.2% Very Willing
  • 27.6% Somewhat Willing
  • 13.8% Willing

 

From your feedback, we understand we need to do more to let you know about the work we do, and how you can help. When we asked if you felt well informed you were around our sustainability activities the results were:  

  • 3.4% Strongly Agree
  • 69% Agree
  • Overall 72.4% Agree

 

And when we asked if LUU has raised students’ awareness of sustainable living:

  • 6.9% Strongly Agree
  • 44.8% Agree
  • Overall 51.7% Agree

 

We were keen to get your opinion on which one of our sustainable goals or areas you feel means the most to you, and here’s what you shared with us:

 

  • Waste (82.8%)
  • Food Services (62.1%)
  • Energy (58.6%)
  • Transportation (44.8%)
  • Purchasing (27.6%)
  • Water (17.2%)
  • Green Building (6.9%)

 

There’s load going on in our Union building and that means there’s a level of unavoidable environmental impact from our day-to-day operations. Here are a few of our negative environmental impacts and what we’re doing to help reduce them.

 

Waste - 183.3 tonnes produced in 2018

We’re able to divert the majority of our waste from landfill - 98.57% was diverted in 2018. Some of this is through recycling, and some of this is burned fuel.

We’re improving our building’s waste footprint by better segmentation and labelling of our bins for better recycling. And we’ve signed a joint pledge with the University to have a campus free of single-use plastics by 2023.

 

Food - 80.7 tonnes of food waste produced in 2017

LUU’s food wastage figures are actually really low considering we have so many and such large food and catering outlets and operations.

 

We’re always working on reducing food wastage by analysing our ordering practices and making sure they are as sustainable as they can be. We work closely with the Real Junk Food Project and donate food to them every day. We also run food programmes - like Culture Cooks - that make use of intercepted food.

 

Electricity - approximately 1,853,000 kWh used 2017-18

We are continually updating our electrical equipment with more energy-efficient kit. We also have smart solutions such as automatic lighting so that unoccupied spaces aren’t unnecessarily lit.

 

Water - approximately 16,494 m3 used 2017-18

LUU uses a water control system which intelligently manages water use in our toilets.

 

Steam - approximately 1,490,200 kWh used 2017-18

Our building management system allows us to intelligently allocate heating to our spaces according to need.

 

We will continue in our promise to be as sustainable and environmentally friendly as possible and always welcome your ideas and suggestions. Get in touch with us if you have any.

 

For our 2019-2022 strategic plan one of our nine missions is dedicated to driving sustainable management. You can have a read of it here to check on our progress.