Four piggy banks surrounding a pile of small UK changes

How students can get £150 towards their living costs

In the wake of the cost of living crisis, you may have heard about the £150 Council Tax rebate being offered to households to help offset rising energy bills and other living costs. What you might not realise is that as a non-halls student household, you’re still entitled to that payment, even if you don’t pay Council Tax.

That’s because the rebate is intended to help with household bills such as energy, instead of being specifically targeted towards taxes. The rebate is not a loan, so will not be required to be paid back, and it will not affect your student loan entitlement. Those living in halls of residence are not eligible for the rebate, as their accommodation costs are already covered by accommodation fees.