#LeedsVotes General Election 2015

The General Election is coming. On May 7th voters will decide on everything that matters, from policing to the NHS,  by voitng for the people that represent them in Government. This page will help make sure you can take part and be part of history.

How to Register

Registering is really easy! All you have to do is fill this 5 min online form (will open a new window) you will need to know your National Insurance Number.

The law has changed so that everyone has to register individually so make sure you dont miss out.

Why you should Register

As a resident of Leeds you are eligible to vote for councillors to represent your area. Whilst some of you will also be eligible to vote in another area (for example, where your parents live), we think it’s really important to vote in Leeds.

In the 2010 General Election, only 44 per cent of 18 to 24-year-olds voted, which is the lowest turnout of all age demographics. If you think that you have views and opinions that are worth being heard, register to vote and let local councillors know that you need to be represented too!

There will be more information here about the candidates running this year as soon as the candidate list is released by the Electoral Comission

Why you should you Register in Leeds

its not a very well known fact that you can register to vote in both your 'home' address and your 'Uni' address and then decide on the day where you would like to cast your vote. So keep your options open. You can also vote for Councillors in BOTH areas.

How do I make sure I can vote?

To be updated

How do I vote?

The next local council and European Parliament elections are being held on Thursday 7th May 2015. This is your chance to vote for the MP's you want to represent you, both where you study and at home. 

To find out where your polling station is, simply type in your postcode here

You can also see where your polling station is by looking at the ward maps:

Hyde Park & Woodhouse 




Once you’ve registered you will be sent a polling card that will tell you where your nearest polling station is (you can also check this online). On the day you will go there and vote. You are NOT able to vote at any polling station, only at the one written on your card. However you do not have to have your card on you on the day to be able to vote.

Voting is done in private booths and is entirely confidential. You will be asked for your name, and then shown to a booth where you will pick the people you want to represent you. If you do not think that any of the candidates represent you, you can spoil your ballot paper. This is called registering a protest vote, and means that the government will see that you turned up to vote, but felt that no one standing accurately represented your views.

You can also register to vote by proxy, or register a postal vote. For more information on registering for postal or proxy voting go to www.aboutmyvote.co.uk

Who are the Candidates?

To be updated

How are the votes counted?

First-post-the-post is used to elect MPs to the House of Commons and for local elections in England and Wales. Under first-past-the-post, the UK or local authority is divided into numerous voting areas, i.e. constituencies or wards. At a general or local election, voters put a cross (X) next to their preferred candidate on a ballot paper. Ballot papers are then counted and the candidate that has received the most votes is elected to represent the constituency or ward.

What is the electoral register and who has access to it?

There are two versions of the electoral register: the full version and the edited version. When you fill in your registration form, you can choose to ‘opt out’ of the edited version, which anyone can buy.

The two versions explained:

The full register lists the name and address of everyone who is registered to vote and is updated every month. A copy is held at your electoral registration office where anyone can go and look at it. If this leads you to have serious concerns about your safety, please contact your local electoral registration office for advice. Copies of the full register can only be supplied for certain purposes. The main use of the full register is to show who can vote in elections and referendums. Credit reference agencies can use it, but only to check your name and address if you are applying for credit. It can also be used for law enforcement.

The edited register is available for general sale and can be used for any purpose. You can choose not to be on the edited register, which is kept separate from the full register. The edited register can be bought by any person, company or organisation and can be used for commercial activities such as marketing.

It’s your choice!

If you tick the box on the voter registration form, your name and address will only appear on the full register, which is used for elections, referendums and certain other purposes. If you do not tick the box on the voter registration form, your name and address will also appear on the edited version of the register, which anyone can buy. This means anyone can use your details for any purpose. The person who fills in and signs the registration form for your address must ask each person named on the form if they want their details on the edited register. Make sure your choice is clear every year.

For more information go to http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk or www.biltetheballot.co.uk

What to do if you're an international student 

International Students Can Vote Too!

Depending on where you are from you might still be able to vote. Read on below, or go www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/who_can_register_to_vote to for a full list of who's eligible to vote.

Who can vote?

Some international students have the right to vote in elections in the UK. These rights will depend on where you are from and what choices you make about where you vote. Students from the Commonwealth and European Union are able to vote in the upcoming local elections.

European Students

If you are from the Republic or Ireland, Malta or Cyprus you are able to register using the normal registration forms. If you are from one of the other EU countries listed on the back, you will need to use an EU Voter Registration Form (available online  and from the union). You are able to vote in the UK local elections. However, if you choose to vote for UK MEPs you are not allowed to vote in the same EU election in your home country.

Commonwealth Students

If you are from a commonwealth country you are able to vote in all UK elections, as long as you are a UK resident and are allowed to stay in the UK—you must have an address and a permit to study in the UK.

Overseas Territories

If you are from a British Overseas territory and are listed on the reverse you are also allowed to vote.

Nationalities entitled to vote in elections in the UK

European Countries

Citizens of the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta are eligible to register to vote in respect of all UK elections.

Commonwealth Countries

Commonwealth citizens who have leave to enter or remain in the UK, or do not require such leave, are eligible to register to vote in the UK

Antigua and Barbuda




South Africa





Papua New Guinea

Sri Lanka


The Bahamas

Fiji Islands






The Gambia


St Kitts and Nevis






St Lucia

Trinidad and Tobago





St Vincent and the Grenadines













United Kingdom





Sierra Leone

United Republic of Tanzania




New Zealand







Solomon Islands



British Overseas Territories

Citizens of British Overseas Territories are eligible to register when resident in the UK


British Virgin Island


Soverign Base Areas on Cyprus


Cayman Islands

Pitcairn Islands

Turks and Caicos Islands

British Antarctic Territory

Falkland Islands

St Helena, Ascension and Tristan de Cunha


British Indian Ocean Territory


South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands



British Crow Dependencies

Citizens of the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are eligible to register when resident in the UK.

Former Residents of Hong Kong

Only former residents of Hong Kong who hold a British Dependent Territories, a British Nationals (Overseas) or British Overseas Passport meet the nationality criteria for all elections in the UK

I'm in halls - where is my polling station?