What we’re all about
Our GIAG Recruitment Information Evening will be Thursday 26th September 2019, 17:30-20:00, location TBC
Our volunteers are trained by Yorkshire Ambulance Service (YAS) as Community First Responders. They provide care to seriously ill patients in the local community before an ambulance arrives. Our scheme is based in north-west Leeds and comprises 60 student volunteers from the University of Leeds. We book 'on-call' in pairs, with a driver and passenger on each shift. Our scheme is led by a committee of volunteers, under the governance of YAS's Community Resilience Team.
Our scheme is primarily open to medical and healthcare students. However, we will consider applications from other students who demonstrate the required commitment and interest in our scheme, including a minimum of two years volunteering and 15 hours per month.
As a CFR, you will be able to:
- Support people in your local community at their time of need
- Get hands-on experience caring for patients early in their illness
- Experience working in areas of Leeds outside the 'student bubble'
- Work with and learn from ambulance crews in acute settings
- Join a close-knit team of medical and healthcare students from all years
- Attend our CPD sessions on topics relevant to emergency medicine and prehospital care
All prospective volunteers must apply during our annual recruitment process in the autumn. If successful they must complete YAS' mandatory CFR paperwork requirements (including an enhanced DBS check) and attend and pass an initial training course. Revalidation occurs annually. More details are available at www.cfrleeds.org.uk.
We hold monthly CPD events for volunteers to enhance and practice their skills. We cover both topics that are relevant to the CFR scope of practice and more general topics in prehospital care. Past topics have included:
- Resuscitation 'pitstop' masterclass
- The short of breath patient
- Conflict resolution skills
- Volunteering at multi-agency major incident exercises
- ED handover
- Introduction to prehospital advanced life support
- Vehicle Extrication
- ECG masterclass
Full volunteer membership is only open to those who have trained or are training as YAS CFRs.
However, anyone is welcome to join us as a Supporter Member and attend a selection of our CPD events and other training sessions.
LMSCFR Social Guidelines v1.0 Feb 2019.docx245.51 KB
CFR Constitution v1.0 Feb 2019.docx27.62 KB